Saturday, May 28, 2011

Here goes...

At the very minimum, I created this blog to keep track of events slightly more significant than what usually comprises my status updates.  Add to that the fact that the blog has been terribly neglected for the past 9 weeks (not a coincidental number; school started around that time), and I think it's time to make the announcement:  I'm taking the plunge.  In two weeks I am quiting my job and going to school full-time. It seemed unprofessional to post this until I had officially given notice, however I just did last wednesday.



If everything works out as planned, then at this time next year I will be finishing my postbac and about to start a summer internship before beginning my masters in the fall.  I'm very excited.  It's relieving to finally have a concrete plan that involves actual dates.  Until recently, I knew so little about which courses I needed, when they were offered, what the requirements were, and how long this would all take.  Now I have a checklist.  And I totally pwn up on checklists.  

The fact of the matter is that I am getting burned out with my current load.  Work and getting to and from work was taking up 25 hours/wk, lectures and labs took up another 15 hours.  Thats a full time job. Factor in homework, which was around usually between 15 and 25 hours/wk and something had to give.  Add to that the fact that after next term, all my classes are 300/400 level couses, and it's safe to say school isn't easing up any time soon.  Finally, I would rather spend any extra time on school right now, since I want to learn as much as I can. 

However, I don't want to give the impression that I'm not enjoying being in school.  I definitely am.  I am learning so much, and about such an interesting field.  I'm constantly busy with one project or another, but they are all very fun and intersting.  A large part of this education boils down to playing with electronics and making things (circuits, programs, robots) that do cool shit. 

The next couple weeks are going to be crazy-- finals, moving, taking classes at two schools at once... new puppy(!)-- but after that my full time job is going to be becoming a computer engineer. And I might even get to have dinner with Beth sometimes.  Things are looking pretty good.

No comments: