Tuesday, January 8, 2013

No social worker can stop me!


     This seemed a bit too long for Facebook, so thought it should go here:

     None of my classes this term are in the Engineering Buildings, so basically that means that I have no idea where the hell anything is anymore.  One of the buildings I have a class in I have never even heard of.  This might not be much of a big deal to a normal person, but I am somewhat of a creature of habit, so I am less than thrilled at the prospect of re-learning where all the bathrooms, microwaves, garbage cans, etc are located.  However, my search for a place to warm up my lunch just resulted in this fantastic dialogue:
Me: Hi, I have class in this building and I'm wondering if there is a microwave I can use to warm up my lunch first? 
Her:  Well, we have one on this floor but it's only for employees. Let me think... 
Me:  It's fine, really.  I know where one is that isn't too far from here. 
Her:  Oh wait, hold on-- Go up to the sixth floor.  It's the Office of Social Work, and they have microwaves in their kitchen.   I'm sure you can just walk in and use one-- I mean, they're social workers; they aren't going to do anything to stop you.  
[emphasis added for hilarity]
     So not only did I learn about a new microwave location, I learned that social workers are apparently pushovers and reaffirmed my belief that simply acting like you belong is enough to get away with practically anything.  And furthermore, it's EXTREMELY quiet up there and they have some VERY comfortable couches, so I think I may have just found my new nap location...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If I remember correctly, that's the top floor of the campus rec, and there are also printers and shredders next to the couches. I cannot tell you how tempting it is to shred something after things print intermittently for 15 minutes and nobody comes to retrieve any of it.