Monday, July 18, 2011

Protip: At PSU, "to frown upon" means "to require"

Dear CS163 prerequisites:  In your face!!
Dear PSU add/drop policy: Please die in a fire.
Dear friends and family:  I'm still alive, despite your fruitless attempts to contact me. 

That's an attempt to summarize what I am sure could easily spiral completely out of control and span multiple pages into something that can be read without needing a break halfway through.  I tried to keep it short but that seemed too short.  So here's a slightly longer explanation:

School is kicking my ass this term.  My advisor (who also happens to be the department head, and thus essentially decides if I get into the masters program) told me to take an advanced-level programming class this term, for a language I have no experience with.  He said I would have to work a bit harder than the other students, but that I should be ok.   When I emailed the course instructor to explain my situation and ask what material I should review she told me (in slightly more words) to drop the course, that reviewing the material from the previous courses is not a replacement for taking them, and that PSU “would frown upon” what I am trying to do.  Which is funny, except for the part where—for all intents and purposes—PSU instructed me to do that.

To make matters even more awesome, when I started to figure out what my options were it quickly became clear that actually I didn’t have any.  This is because the course add/drop policies at PSU are completely asinine.  Classes can only be dropped with in the first two weeks.  
                First week: 100% tuition refund, no “W” recorded on transcript
                Second week: Whopping 0% refund, completely with lovely “W” on transcript
                Third week: Census.  Financial aid adjusted to reflect current course load.

It should be noted that the first lecture of the course in question was on a Friday, so I had exactly 10 hours to drop the class if I wanted my money back.  Unsurprisingly, I missed that deadline.  Also, had I dropped a class, I would have become ineligible for financial aid, and had to pay my summer aid back immediately.

So actually, when I said I had no options, I lied a little. I did have two options: 

Option 1: Attempt the class
    Con: Potentially end up with an F on my transcript. 
    Con: If I fail, I will be about a year behind academically.
    Con: Making up 20 weeks of prerequisite material while in an accelerated programming class might be deadly.
    Pro:  Keep financial aid, aka I get to eat and I can pay rent.
    Pro: If I pass, I am still on track to start grad school in a year.
Option 2: Drop it
    Pro: W on transcript is likely better than F
    Pro: More time to focus on other classes
    Con: I will be about a year behind academically guaranteed.
    Con: No eating or rent paying


I know, pretty awesome set of choices, right?  I decided to go with option 1, because it involves eating.

So I have been incredibly busy.  My ass has been saved multiple times by the fact that the professor teaching the course (aside from being less than helpful with that first email I sent) records all her lectures and posts videos online along with all the lecture materials, from all her previous classes.  Also I have incredible friends that have been helping me figure all this stuff out.  And I think I am actually going to make it.  The class is only 8 weeks long.  I only have 3 or 4 weeks left.  And so far, I have completed both assignments and feel like I actually have a shot on the midterm this Friday. 

Anyway I have homework to do (imagine that!) but at least now those first two lines should make more sense. 


No comments: