Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bus post: motivation

On days that I work, I spend a good hour at least on trimet busses.   Combine that with swype, which enables me to communicate with decent speed on a touchscreen and I figure this could be somewhat more productive than playing angry birds. 

Motivation is an interesting thing, and lately I’ve learned a lot about it.  Two case studies:

First: Deciding to go back to school took plenty of deliberation on my part and lots of pushing from my better half. But once classes started and homework was assigned, the real work began. The homework came on fast and heavy, and I almost got completely left behind in one of my classes because I wasn’t quite ready for the deluge. So I had to start getting up early on my only day off to study, and cutting back on social outings in the evenings.  I got caught up on the homework and even scored extra credit on my projects.  I have yet to get my grades but I am pretty sure I did well on finals. 

Second:  I don't really ever make new year's resolutions, but in back in January I decided that our trip to Hawaii (4 days  from now!!!) was a great excuse to get in shape.  School happened, and two and a half months later, I hadn't been to the gym once.  It was frustrating to admit that I had basically failed to accomplish that goal, but I decided that complaints of my body be damned, I was going to the gym as much as possible in the 2 weeks I had left until we were in Hawaii.  As I write this, I’ve gone for 9 out of the past 10 days and lost almost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. 

I hope this doesn’t come across as arrogant and boastful because the real point is that I came very close to failure in both of those examples before I found the will to succeed.  So really, I think they are both lessons in motivation.  Now, I believe that at least for me,  motivation has nothing to do with getting the job done and everything to do with getting it started. 

No comments: