Friday, March 18, 2011

Bus post: are you smarter than a 2-year old?

Just left work, where everyone was involved in a lively discussion about how it's totally fine to hit your kids.  I can't believe that out of four relatively educated people, three see absolutely no problem with this.  Three women, at that. 

I'm not really a bleeding heart and I'm not going to drone on about how violence against defenseless children makes angels cry.  However, I will say one thing:  Anyone who condones hitting kids, plans to hit their children, and is comfortable bragging about this fact in public should really know how ignorant it makes them sound.  I mean why not just come right out and say it?

"Oh yeah, totally... I DEFINITELY lack the mental capacity to express my thoughts to or reason with someone who is a fraction of my age.   In fact, I get so frustrated even TRYING that I usually just injure the offending party in order to silence them."

That's essentially what I said before leaving but there were a lot of multisyllabic words so I'm not sure the message came through very clear.  Next time I'll say it using a backhand instead.  It would be easier to understand.

Are you smarter than a two year old?
Apparently not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that the point of the conversation was to make each other feel better about it by convincing themselves it is normal and acceptable.

"Oh, you do it too? Then we're all good, right? I don't have to feel guilty? Fuck yeah."